Stepping out of my comfort zone

"A comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there." -Unknown

I found this quote yesterday and immediately loved it. Right now, my life is about pushing myself and working hard to achieve my dreams. Since my mental health has been in a good state recently, I feel that I'm able to venture outside my comfort zone.

On the other hand, when my mental health isn't as stable, it is best for me to stay inside my comfort zone and put my health over my work. I instead need to avoid stressful or triggering situations. I feel that people with mental health issues need to have days when they can recover and recharge. It's important to be able to identify these days because taking a break when they need it will help them in the long-run: mentally, emotionally, and physically.

I reflected on March, when my mental health was generally stable and in a good state. I worked hard and really pushed myself beyond my comfort zone, and it resulted in being offered some amazing opportunities, which I am proud to finally announce. In May, I will be travelling to Buffalo with the TMI Project to read a piece about my mental health journey in front of a couple hundred people and assist in a writing workshop. I also recently found out that a different piece I wrote about my story will be a part of a major publication. I feel so honored to be a contributor to both of these inspiring projects.

When my college degree was put on hold when I developed my psychiatric disorder, my heart was broken. I thought that I would never be able to accomplish what I wanted in life. I'm finally realizing that my worth does not depend on a degree. My dreams are bigger now than they ever were. Never let someone tell you that you can't reach your goals. Never stop believing in yourself. Never give up. You are powerful!

-Allie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep and mental health

A fresh coat of paint and a fresh start

Our holiday card project. Your voice can make a difference.