Service dog speech 10/9/16

In May of 2013, right after I turned 21, I suddenly developed a severe anxiety disorder that made it almost impossible for me to go out in public, drive, or stay home alone. By December of that year, I had spent almost 3 months total in different psychiatric hospitals. I had gained nearly 40 pounds, watched my long term relationship end, and had to painfully withdraw from my senior year at SUNY New Paltz. 
For more than a year after my last hospital stay, I spent my days in big sweatshirts and doctors appointments. When I went out, I'd have to be so medicated that I would sometimes fall asleep in restaurants or at my little sister's basketball games. I watched as my friends got engaged as graduated college. I would think over and over about why this happened to me. Why were my dreams for my future ripped away from me?
My life completely changed the day my mom learned about psychiatric service dogs. They could learn tasks to help people with anxiety disorders like mine live more fulfilling lives. In February 2015, our research led us to find Joey, a 5 month old Collie. His trainer is working with him to learn specific tasks that will help me become more independent whether out in public and at home. Even though he's still learning, he has already helped me in so many ways. I'm more focused and energized because I don't need to be so medicated. I'm more active and outgoing because I feel comfortable going out in public when he's with me. Within the past few weeks I've even felt confident enough to apply to finish my degree. When I got him, my goal was to live like I had before my mental illness. Joey has already exceeded that goal. I am a better person than I was before, and I know I can be an advocate and change the world with him right by my side. 
Other people with mental illness should be able to have the same opportunity as myself to have a psychiatric service dog. These incredible dogs vastly improve the lives of those who have already been through so much. By being here today, you're not only helping raise money, but you're also showing people with psychiatric disorders that they have support from their communities. Knowing that I have a strong support system has been crucial to my recovery. Thank you for being here and for showing that people with invisible illness don't have to be invisible.

Speech given: 10/9/16 at Rockin' 4 Ryan fundraising concert

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep and mental health

A fresh coat of paint and a fresh start

Our holiday card project. Your voice can make a difference.