Embrace your awkwardness and take chances

When I became sick at 21-years-old, my confidence took a nose-dive. As I began to recover, I regained my confidence slowly. Writing was the first medium I used to talk about mental health through social media and blogging. In work and other projects, I started to use public speaking to talk about my experiences and discuss mental illness and stigma. I felt calm and comfortable with writing and talking to individuals and groups face-to-face. However, I knew that I was missing out on some popular ways to connect and build a community. . . dun dun dun. . . vlogging and live streaming. No matter how comfortable I felt sharing my story or talking to large groups of people, I felt very intimidated if I was being filmed. When I get nervous, I trip over words, lose my train of thought, and become besties with the word "like." My perception of awkwardness was holding me back. When COVID-19 provided me with more free time than I could've imagined, I wondered if it was finally time to conquer my camera-shyness. 

I began posting videos, with a lot of mess-ups edited out, on my Facebook and Instagram pages. I wanted to remind people they are not alone if they are dealing with mental health issues during this time of social distancing and uncertainty. I wasn't surprised to hear that friends, family, and mutual friends were struggling too. I discovered that stumbling over a word was okay, and I didn't need to worry about perfection. 

Once I gained more confidence making videos, I felt ready to take it to the next level. I began live streaming on Twitch at OCDkoala (follow me, we have fun)! I started by playing Switch games to learn about streaming with a small audience. Then I began hosting a Sunday Night Reset on Twitch and Facebook each week where I talked about mental health and coping strategies with input and comments from people who tuned in. Each week, I'd chat while coloring or knitting. I've recruited some of my friends to do interviews about their mental health conditions, chronic illnesses, and coping strategies. I loved the connections I was making with the community.

In June, I saw that my favorite website, The Mighty, was looking to host virtual events. I took a chance and pitched my idea for them to host my Sunday Night Reset. I checked my phone every 3 minutes for the next 2 weeks until I received an email asking if I wanted to host a pilot episode on Monday July 6th called the Mental Health Reset! I screeched so loud that my neighbors were probably concerned. I had a blast and met the most inspiring people. My family and friends logged on to support me. Later that night, after celebratory ice cream, Ashley at The Mighty asked if I wanted to host the Mental Health Reset on a recurring basis. I jumped up and down with my cat for 5 minutes before saying YES!

On Sunday July 19th, I will be hosting the Mental Health Reset through The Mighty on a regular basis! I'm so grateful and excited. Please see the info below to register, and I can't thank you all enough for all the love and support I've received on my journey. Let's build mental health skills and community together :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep and mental health

A fresh coat of paint and a fresh start

Our holiday card project. Your voice can make a difference.