Finding the light

Tomorrow night was supposed to be my induction ceremony (thanks Covid), so I’m celebrating instead by telling my story. When I was a junior in college, I began having mental health symptoms which I tried to ignore; I was too busy. Days after my semester ended, I had a complete mental break which left me panicked, paranoid, and unable to leave my house or stay home alone out of fear. Within weeks, I went from writing a 25-page paper on The Enlightenment to my mind racing so fast that I could not drive, read, or write. It was devastating. Over the next 6 months, I was hospitalized 5 times, spending nearly 3 months total inpatient. The most painful day of my treatment was when I needed to withdraw from my senior year. 

During my intensive treatments and medication changes, I pushed myself to re-enroll. However, I became more symptomatic and overwhelmed. I wasn’t ready. I ended up taking a medical leave to focus solely on recovery. 

After several years of treatment, I felt more confident and prepared to slowly resume my education. I enrolled at Suny-Empire State College to pursue my bachelors in Community and Human Services. I wanted to learn how to advocate for people who were not yet ready to advocate for themselves. With love from my support system, disability accommodations, and patience in myself, I graduated with my bachelors in January 2019. 

I had always dreamt of going to graduate school, and my passion for mental health and community support led me to social work. In September 2019, I began the Masters in Social Work program at Fordham University. Between managing my mental health, living through a pandemic, losing my job, starting a new job, and learning a challenging curriculum, I have worked hard. 

Humble brag time! Last December, I was invited to join the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, the oldest and most selective all-disciplines honor society for those in the top 10% of their graduating class. Members have included Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Hillary Clinton, Al Gore, and a personal favorite Brené Brown. I am not afraid to say that I’m proud of myself 💜

I tell my story to remind people not to give up on their dreams and not to lose hope in themselves. When I was in my darkest times, I fought to see the light. I learned that your current situation does not determine your future. If you or a loved one are struggling, I urge you to keep that glimmer of hope that things will get better. Recovery is not perfect, but it is possible. 

Thank you to my parents, siblings, husband, friends, family, and treatment providers who never let me lose faith in myself. 


Φιλοσοφία Kρατείτω Φωτῶν; (Philosophía Krateítõ Phõtôn); "Let the love of learning rule humanity"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep and mental health

A fresh coat of paint and a fresh start

Our holiday card project. Your voice can make a difference.