How to talk to your Self about mental illness

    For hundreds of years (not exaggerating, research the history of mental illness treatment, it's awful), people have held a negative and dangerous opinion on mental illness. These years of stereotyping and discrimination are heavily ingrained in society and have been reinforced in the media and entertainment. Recently, more and more has been discussed about stigma, the harmful judgments and perceptions about mental illness. People are sharing their personal experiences and the public is beginning to believe that mental illness does not equate to violent, unmotivated, or unstable. This change in the conversation about psychiatric issues gives me hope.

    However, self-stigma is rarely discussed but can be just as destructive. Self-stigma refers to how people with mental illness negatively judge themselves. As much as I advocate about ending stigma, I have stigmatized myself at different points during my battle with mental illness. When things are tough, it is easy to blame yourself and believe the stereotypes society has taught you. When I was recovering, I received temporary disability assistance. I was not working, and I could not save money. I felt shame even though I would never feel that for someone else in the same position. I watched my classmates graduate college when I was supposed to graduate. I felt embarrassment when I would never judge another person in this way. My self-stigma led to a deeper sadness and clouded my view of one day recovering. 

    Stigma lies to you and tries to alter your self image. Society is learning and becoming more open to talking about mental illness. If we want to truly end stigma, we need to re-examine how we view our own mental health issues. Show yourself the kindness and understanding you show to others. You are not your illness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep and mental health

A fresh coat of paint and a fresh start

Our holiday card project. Your voice can make a difference.