It can happen to anyone.


Mental health issues do not discriminate. They are seen in any gender, ethnicity, religion, age, socioeconomic status, or any other life category. The media tends to portray people with mental illness as either homeless and/or having an extremely high IQ. This is not the case. Throughout my journey with mental illness, I have encountered people from all walks of life. While I have met some who would fit society’s perception of someone with a psychiatric disorder, the majority of people break the stereotype. It can happen to anyone, and I believe that I am a good example.

I had always been a slightly nervous person, but it never got in the way of being able to function or live the way I wanted. I didn’t have a traumatic experience, and had never touched drugs or alcohol. Music and performance were important parts of my life; I had been singing and dancing for as long as I could remember. High school was a great experience for me. I was a varsity cheerleader, the lead in my school play, and an honors student. College was going very well too. I was on the Dean’s List and one year away from receiving a degree in Secondary Education with a concentration in social studies. I had always been a trusted employee at my part-time job and an active part of my community. Relationships with my family and friends had always been strong.  

Up until May 2013, having a mental illness had never crossed my mind. I and the people in my life were shocked when I suddenly developed a crippling psychiatric disorder. We quickly learned that the stereotypes and judgements people have about those with mental illness are not true. Mental health issues can happen to anyone. When people learn and accept this, the topic won’t be so taboo to discuss. There is nothing to be ashamed of or afraid of; now is the time to end the stigma.

-Allie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep and mental health

A fresh coat of paint and a fresh start

Our holiday card project. Your voice can make a difference.