Letting go and moving on

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us."
- Joseph Campbell

When I came across this quote, I wished that I had heard it earlier. I was one year away from completing my teaching degree to be a high school social studies teacher. When I became mentally ill, I was admitted to a hospital. I remember sitting with a therapist and crying the day I had to withdraw from the classes I had scheduled for the first semester of my Senior year. It was devastating for me, knowing that I wouldn't be graduating with my friends. When I was in a better mental state, I tried going back to college. I got through two classes, but I didn't have the same passion for school, focus, or ability to juggle different assignments. I went back for a third class, but I knew that it would be extremely difficult to maintain my mental health and handle the demands of the class. I accepted that my mental health is more important than a degree, but it was heartbreaking to put a pause on my education.

Soon after I decided to take a break from college, opportunities began popping up. I learned about psychiatric service dogs and found my Joey. Having him in my life drastically improved my mental health. Since I was feeling better, I was offered the chance to assist a family member prepare for her show in NY Fashion Week. I began feeling more confident in myself, and it was becoming noticeable. I was then offered a spot in a writing workshop where participants wrote about personal stories from their lives. Surprisingly, I found comfort in expressing my thoughts through writing. At the end of the 10-week workshop, we read our pieces to a large audience. That performance was a turning point in my life. I was asked to read at other events, and I realized that I was meant to be a mental health advocate.

My life is at a great point right now. I'm blogging about my journey with mental health, documenting my service dog's life online, and educating people about mental health issues and stigma fighting. I would also like to expand into more public readings and speaking events. Your dreams and goals may change, but know that what's meant to be is waiting for you. Letting go of the past will lead you to a brighter future. Never give up on yourself.

-Allie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep and mental health

A fresh coat of paint and a fresh start

Our holiday card project. Your voice can make a difference.