Physical illness and mental health

I have been pretty sick for the past few days, and it is really taking a toll on my mental health. When the body is hard at work fighting a physical illness, it becomes more difficult to keep psychiatric illness in check. For me, my anxiety goes through the roof. I have serious anxiety issues when it comes to my health, so when I'm not feeling well, I tend to think that I have every illness. If I see or hear about a certain illness, I'm sure that is what is wrong with me. That leads me to develop more tension and stress in my body, which makes me feel sicker, which ends up making me more nervous. It is a horrible vicious cycle.

People throw around the term hypochondria all the time, but unless you have to deal with it on a personal level, you wouldn't understand how detrimental it is. Hypochondria is not the same as being over-dramatic. Be more understanding instead of critical.

-Allie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep and mental health

A fresh coat of paint and a fresh start

Our holiday card project. Your voice can make a difference.