World Bipolar Day

Although I don't have bipolar disorder, I still feel a strong connection to World Bipolar Day. Some of the most incredible people I've met on my journey with mental health issues are fighting bipolar disorder. When I was hospitalized in Boston, I had never been so far away from family and friends. The wing of the hospital I was placed on specialized in treating bipolar disorder, so most of the people I associated with were bipolar. Whether they were in a manic or depressive state, they were kind, caring, and comforting. From having deep conversations about life to just playing cards, they became my friends. They were the ones who helped me realize that having a mental illness didn't have to change who I was as a person, and they taught me that I had nothing to be ashamed of. Today, I'm thinking of them and all they did for me.

My experiences living with mental illness have been eye-opening. I've learned so much about myself, others with mental illness, and how people and society view mental health issues. One of the most valuable lessons I've learned is to look beyond the diagnosis and get to know the individual. When people begin to practice this, mental health stigma will no longer be. We can be the change.

-Allie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep and mental health

A fresh coat of paint and a fresh start

Our holiday card project. Your voice can make a difference.